Ref: “CHALO AZAD MAIDAN”- 15th March 2014 at 3.00 p.m. – Target: 50,000 Citizens
Withdraw Unjust Acquisition notices served on St. Anthony’s Church and School, Our Lady of Assumption Church and School and several Important Community Concerns
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere”… Martin Luther King Jr.
Why are we upset and what has forced us to come out on the streets to agitate?
On December 01, 2012 at a public rally at Kandivali on the above issues, the Hon’ble M.P Sanjay Nirupam promised the gathering that he would find a solution within six months to the above issues. We had several morchas / dharnas in a peaceful manner. Thereafter we knocked at the doors of the Municipal Commissioner Shri Sitaram Kunte[courtesy Shri Julio Rebeiro] who also visited the sites. We petitioned and knocked at all those who matter including the Mayor Shri Sunil Prabhu, Dr. Ram Barot, Chairman-Improvements Committee, M.P. Priya Dutt, MLA Aslam Shaikh, Chief Minister Shri Prithviraj Chavan, Minorities Commission Chairman, Maharashtra Minorities Development Department, Smt. Sonia Gandhi, President- AICC, Shri Rahul Gandhi-Vice- President – AICC , Hon’ble Prime Minister so on and on and on….
We only received assurances and promises but the problems remain as they are. We petitioned the Hon’ble Chief Minister to give an appointment to explain to him the injustices but no response. Unfortunately, only those who use violent means get an appointment with the Chief Minister.
But we are a peaceful and law abiding community and non-violence is our ethos. We will continue our peaceful campaign.
National Elections are round the corner. So, Hon’ble Chief Minister [CONGRESS AND NCP] please don’t take us for granted and we will decide accordingly, if our issues are not sorted out.
Hence the call for “CHALO AZAD MAIDAN on Saturday, March 15 at 3.00 pm to fight for our rights.
Shiv Khera had said it” If your neighbour’s house is being robbed and you can afford to sleep, better watch out, it could be your turn next time. Time has come to unite and not fight our issues individually but collectively. Enough is enough. Let’s stand united and together fight against injustice
We are listing below the Demands which also cover some of the problems and issues faced by the Christians in Maharashtra. We also need specific help from you. Pass the message around. Contact your friends / community. Contact your Priests /Parishes and anyone who can help.
15th March 2014 – CHALO AZAD MAIDAN – 3.00 pm
The following organizations have supported the above campaign:-
SOUL – Save Our Land, Justice & Peace Commission, Watchdog Foundation, Bombay Catholic Sabha (Malwani), Sahar Citizens Forum, Bombay East Indian Association, Marol East Indian Association, Hotline (India) and many more.
For the benefit of Christians/ Citizens Our Demands are:
1. Immediate PERMANENT WITHDRAWAL of the Unjust Land Acquisition Notice served on St. Anthony’s Church and School, Malwani, Malad (W), O.L of Assumption Church & St.Joseph School, Kandivali (W).
2. Do not enforce the altered Marve Road Line & Re-swing the Marve Road Line to the position, where it actually would be, if it was measured from center of existing road, on both sides, which has clandestinely been swung into Church property in order to achieve its malicious goal by the BMC.
4. Demand to immediately set up & make functional Christian Cemeteries at Kandivali (East) & Goregaon (East) for over 1.25 lacs Christians.
5. Withdraw the demolition notices issued to Christian Crosses in the city of Mumbai which amounts to erasing the Christian Identity in the city of Mumbai and Stop the desecration of Crosses in Mumbai.
6. Withdraw all tourism developments plans & dumping grounds from the Versova, Madh, Marve, Manori, Gorai, Uttan areas of Mumbai unconditionally. These plans by Government will have direct impact on the Lifestyle of the Local Population, who mostly comprises of indigenous Christians. These developments are not beneficial to them as it would erase their identity.
7. Demand immediate resolution to issues of Gaothan’s in Mumbai thru
· Withdrawal of Increased Property Taxes,Withdraw notifications in DP of Gaothan’s as slums,Scrap SEZ’s/SRA schemesin Gaothan areas,Give written permission for repairs for Gaothan’s, etc.
8. Demand to propagate at Parish level / Community level the Minority Status benefits to Christians which is today totally on paper only
9. Inspite of a Secular Government – Maharashtra in 2013 is the No.2 State in India with the highest atrocities against Christians. (Including Physical Violence, not allowed to build churches, not allowed to pray, Land & Bldg permissions delayed purposefully, No Cemeteries for burial, social boycott in villages, etc). STOP THIS HAPPENING URGENTLY NOW thru enforcement of rule of law and stricter monitoring of the police force. Arrest and punish those responsible for such crimes against humanity
How YOU can HELP the cause of mobilizing the community we require from you all:
· Please Announce to Parishioners at MASSES to participate in the “CHALO AZAD MAIDAN” Rally on 15th March’14 at 3.00 p.m.
· Please ensure participation by arranging to send a minimum of 20% parishioners of every Parish in Mumbai thru arrangement of buses.
· Please allow us to speak at the masses on these issues on Saturday’s & Sunday’s and also arrange special sessions for your parishioners.
· Please Support us financially for this campaign thru a Parish collection.
. Put up banners/posters & distribute the leaflets in your Parish.
· Prepare placards based on the demands as it applies to your Parish for a greater impact including a Parish Banner supporting the cause
· Depute your representatives for our review/ feedback meetings which will be held every Thursday between 7.30 p.m. and 9.00 p.m. at St. Anthony’s Church, Malwani, Malad (W). Next meeting is on Thursday, 20th. Please attend
You can contact our team/me if you want us to speak at the masses [3-5 minutes or time permitted] / conduct awareness session on these issues [30 minutes to 60 minutes] at your parish or any other details of the campaign.
Mr. Stanley Fernandez -9892500031, Mr. Mathew Thattil -9892834762, Mr. Greg Pereira -9870719628, Mr. Alex Dmello -9821139523, Mr. Noel Duarte – 9821319418, Ms. Bernadine Dcosta – 9819035773,
Thank you for being with us as always.
SOUL – SAVE OUR LAND TEAM
APPEAL TO ALL CHRISTIANS & CITIZENS – IT’S NOW OR NEVER
· GET UP STAND UP, STAND UP FOR OUR RIGHTS
· GET UP STAND UP , DON’T GIVE UP THE FIGHT
· DON’T SIT TIGHT, GET UP & FIGHT AGAINST INJUSTICE
PLEASE PASS IT ON TO PARISHIONERS/CITIZENS/FRIENDS/GROUPS