Prosecutor says Church reforms are making one mob “very nervous”.
Pope Francis could be at risk from the ‘Ndrangheta organized crime organization, according to a leading anti-mob prosecutor who has himself been the target of threats from the mafia.
Nicola Gratteri, 55, a state prosecutor in the southern Italian region of Calabria, where the ‘Ndrangheta is most active, said the pope’s effort to reform the church is making the ‘Ndrangheta “very nervous.”
The organization is considered by experts in Italy to be the most dangerous, most unified and most difficult to penetrate mafia-type organization in the country.
“I cannot say if the organization is in a position to do something like this, but they are dangerous and it is worth reflecting on,” Gratteri warned. “If the godfathers can find a way to stop him, they will seriously consider it.
“Those who have up until now profited from the influence and wealth drawn from the church are getting very nervous,” he added. “For many years, the mafia has laundered money and made investments with the complicity of the church. But now the pope is dismantling the poles of economic power in the Vatican, and that is dangerous.”
Gratteri noted that in southern Italy organized crime figures have strong and high-profile relationships with local church leaders, who help give the crime figures legitimacy.
He also said most Italian mobsters are practicing Catholics, despite their violent activities.
“A gunman from the ‘Ndrangheta will pray and kiss his rosary before shooting someone,” said Gratteri, who has been under police protection against the mob since the 1980s.
Source: Religion News Service
- Prosecutor warns of a mafia threat against Pope Francis (religionnews.com)
- Prosecutor warns of a mob threat against Pope Francis (wilmingtonfavs.com)
- Prosecutor warns of a mafia threat against Pope Francis (thecatholicway.wordpress.com)
- Italian prosecutor warns of mafia threat against Pope Francis (foxnews.com)
- Italian Mafia’s New Target: Pope Francis? (newser.com)
- You: ‘Nervous’ mafia could target Pope Francis, prosecutor warns (latimes.com)
- Prosecutor warns of a mafia threat against Pope Francis (rotimachali.wordpress.com)
- ‘Pope Francis’s life is in danger,’ anti-mafia judge warns (catholicherald.co.uk)
- Is the Italian Mob Trying to Assassinate Pope Francis? (patheos.com)
- Pope Francis’ Anti-Corruption Stance Agitating Mafia – Prosecutor – 14 November 2013 (lucas2012infos.wordpress.com)